Ta-da! New digs! I hope you like them, because I’m not changing anything–EVER. Or not through the weekend anyway.
When Google announced several months ago that they would no longer support ftp posting to self-hosted blogs (you have to use their servers now), I admit: I panicked a little. And I did what I often do when I’m panicked: I put off any decision making about what to do about the problem. Instead, I focused on home remodeling projects and other such stuff. Anything but the blog. A few weeks ago, I realized that the May 1 deadline was rapidly approaching. Yikes!
I can’t even tell you how much work went into designing the new site and hauling three years worth of blogging history over here without losing RSS feeds, page ranks, and such. The reason I can’t tell you is because I didn’t do any of it. Well, not much. In a search for info on how to move from blogger to WP, I found Harriet@CreativeBlogMe. (You may know her from Harriet and Friends, where she blogs about life, mommyhood, and other cool stuff.) Harriet and I teamed up to make the blogger-to-wordpress move happen.
– Create new blog design and banner
– Create WP account
– Install WP
– Install template (Thesis, if you don’t recognize it)
– Copy blogger history
– Move blogger stuff (with my wise and cautionary advice:”Don’t drop anything!”)
– Smoosh all the blogger stuff into the right categories/labels/buckets
– Set up all the RSS feeds
– Add all widgets and plug-ins
– Miscellaneous (This seems like a good bucket for all the other stuff she did that she advised me of, but which went straight over my pointy ex-manager head)
– Wring hands (pre-project)
– Gnash teeth (pre-project)
– Post entry advising readers of impending blog move
– Research toe images and opt for old toes (will re-visit in future after post-migration recovery period)
– Review Harriet’s periodic action updates
– Clap and squeal with joy a lot (enough to count as my cardio on Thursday)
– Learn to log in to WP
– Changed tag line (without assistance!!)
As you can see, a real team effort!
Seriously, I owe Harriet a tremendous debt of gratitude. Yes, this is her business, but she jumped in and got this thing done in a heartbeat–cheerfully, efficiently and expeditiously. I’d still be staring at the screen in a stupor without her.
This may read like an advertisement, but if it is, it’s uncompensated (financially, that is.) I merely want to give credit where it is due and give a great big shout out to Harriet for a job well done.
I’ll be poking around WordPress a bit over the weekend, and there are still some tasks to be done. (Harriet didn’t write my pages for me. Hmmphff!) But for the most part, this is it. I hope you like the new look and that you’ll still hang out with me!
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
This concludes my first WP post.