I strive to cover a wide variety of topics here (when it serves my purposes, anyway), and it occurs to me that this blog has been woefully neglectful of one important topic: History! I’m not sure why I’ve overlooked it (possibly because my knowledge of it is quite pitiful), but there’s no time like the present (hint, hint) for introducing a new category:
On This Day in History
1876 – Billy the Kid killed his first victim, F.P. Cahill
1896 – The Klondike Gold Rush started when gold was found in Rabbit Creek, Alaska
1903 – Joseph Pulitzer donated $1MM to Columbia University, which eventually led to the creation of the Pulitzer Prize. (Cammy note: I choose to see this as prophetic.)
1939 – Opening night for the movie, The Wizard of Oz
1969 – Hurricane Camille slammed the U.S. Gulf Coast (Cammy note: might also be prophetic considering that Cammy is a nickname for Camille and we had just enjoyed a vacation in Gulport/Biloxi, MS a few months before the hurricane.)
Famous People born on this date:
Davy Crockett (1786), Mae West (1892), Maureen O’Hara (1920), Marcus Garvey (1940), Robert De Niro (1943), Cammy C. (1958), Belinda Carlisle (1958) and Sean Penn (1960)
That’s right, it’s MY BIRTHDAY! Yippee!
Today, I am 52 FABulous years old! I am also slightly flabulous, but I’m ever hopeful regular gym attendance will continue to help that. Meanwhile, I’ll take flabulous over flatulent any day of the week.
Today I’m completely feeling Anne Lamott’s greatquote:
“Every age we’ve ever been is who we are.”
So this morning I am …
– the laughing toddler who loves that there are so many new things to explore
– the proud kindergartner who celebrates tying her own shoes (then it was coordination, now it’s being able to bend over)
– the happy high school freshman who’s a little nervous about this strange new environment but looking forward to being part of it
– the tentative 20-something who embraces adulthood by beginning a career and buying her first house
– the sometimes melancholy 30-something who begins to realize that adulthood was highly overrated
– the questioning 40-something who begins a quest to find her truest self, never suspecting that she would uncover strengths and abilities she’d never known she possessed
– the blissful and blessed 52-year old who has never loved life as much as she does this day, this hour, this moment.
This life, so far, has been one awesome ride. Not without its struggles, not without some pain, but also filled with laughter, love, and more blessings than any person has a right to expect. And the best part of it is: there’s more of all of that still ahead! I’ve looking forward to living it and learning from it!
Right now, I’m most looking forward to lunch with friends (not a birthday lunch, just our regular monthly lunch nicely coinciding with my birthday). I had my family birthday celebration this past Saturday (major splurge meal complete with a sliver of carrot cake and a not-a-sliver-but-not-a-slab of red velvet cake), and I’ve got a lunch and another potluck supper for later in the week. No more cake planned, but I’m always open for opportunities! That said, with a satisfactory birthday scale check this morning, I don’t want to do anything to louse it up Moderation, living, moderation, living,….
Wishing you all a Happy Cammy’s Birthday, wherever you are!