As this year draws to a close, it’s time to reflect on the events of 2012. Since I’ve already done a “12” post, I thought I’d choose a different number this time, and I pick 5. Why 5? I thought you’d never ask!
This weekend marks my 5th Bloggiversary! Waaaay back in 2007, I started The Tippy Toe Diet, and I’m still here five years later. I’ve been blogging with some of you since those early days, and others I’ve met along the way. ALL of you are true joys in my life, and I’m so glad our lives have intersected! Thank you!
And now it’s time for 2012, which I’m doing by fives this year:
Five Personal Highlights
Well, four highlights and one lowlight. You’ll have that in life, and I celebrate all of it.
- My lone attempt at hiking in the woods, which felt more like a decathalon: Part 1 ! Part 2
- A wonderful weekend bloggerfriend meet-up with Sharon of Gains and Losses and Debby of Debby Weighs In, where there was much laughter. And some fro-yo
- An awesome birthday weekend getaway to Gulf Shores, AL
- An unexpected Goodwill fitness find had me happy-dancing (note to self: must do video)
- The one dark stain on the year was losing again at the Neighborhood Dessert social, a travesty of justice (and taste)
Five Favorite Posts from 2012
While not necessarily profound, these are posts I need to re-read from time to time, just to keep my head on straight.
- Failing Better – Life is not about perfection.
- Plan B and Beyond – In fact, it’s best to have a back-up plan. More than one.
- Own Your Choices – A reminder of who’s in charge here.
- Transcending Beauty – Balpreet Kaur’s grace, diginity, and beauty continues to inspire me to love and value myself for who I am, just as I am.
- Loving the Fool Within – Another great reminder of the beauty of being human
Five Culinary Adventures
Long-time readers know that I’m no culinary wizard, but I do enjoy trying new things now and then. (Remember last year when I ate a brussels sprout?) This year, I actually made some keepers!
- 100 Calorie Apple Pie – Featuring, of all things, won ton wrappers!
- Alton Brown’s Baked Boiled Eggs – 30 minutes start to finish, and the only time my eggs weren’t cooked perfectly was when I baked them in my toaster oven. User error, I’m sure. (This post also featured my DIY Taco Seasoning
- Corn on the Cob from the Oven – Juiciest and sweetest corn I’ve ever eaten, this recipe was the taste highlight of last summer for me.
- Pineapple Coleslaw – I cleaned out my fridge one night and discovered a wonderfully creamy and naturally sweet coleslaw. Perfect for summer barbecues.
- Lentil Taco Filling – So good I may not eat meat tacos again! And with a slight variation or two, I also made Lentil Pasta Sauce to replace my traditional Meat Sauce.
Hmmm, I just remembered one more thing, but I’m not sure whether it would go under culinary adventures or highlights from the year. Here seems like a good place for it. Shredding Chicken with the Kitchen Aid Mixer is a truly joyful thing, especially when I’m in a hurry. It also gives me an opportunity to actually use my mixer.
And that’s my look back at 2012, by fives. I’ll save my looking forward post for another day.
On a side note: Be not alarmed at my wonky header or other weirdness you encounter. I’m still tinkering, and it’s a slow process for me. I’ll eventually get it all straightened out. I think. LOL
Feel free to share highlights from your 2012, or if you’re a blogger who posted it, share the link.