I had no idea it was National Pie Day until I opened my local paper this morning and found the food section to be about all things pie. Lots of recipes, both sweet and savory, and quotes from local foodies paying homage to their favorite pies. Can you believe that not ONE of them mentioned my 100-calorie apple pies? (Okay, I’ll admit, it wasn’t my first thought either. That honor went to lemon icebox pie.)
If you’re in Memphis, Muddy’s Bake Shop owner Kat Gordon is celebrating her HUGE Pie-love with a free pie buffet from 2-6 today. Sadly, I will not be attending as I will be at the gym and then…well, anywhere else I can think of to distract me from the fact that it’s National Pie Day.
But that doesn’t mean YOU shouldn’t celebrate if you want to. You don’t even have to break the calorie and/or nutrition bank to do so.
Healthier Pie Recipes
- Fitness Magazine: Guilt-free Pie Recipes, including Blueberry Mint, Sweet Potato, Pumpkin Pecan, and others, all with lower-fat pie crusts!
- Eating Well: Frozen Pumpkin Mousse Pie and French Silk Pie.
- HungryGirl: Lemon Meringue Pie (Splenda alert!)
- Shape.com: 2-minute Pumpkin Pie (Crustless alert!)
- Alton Brown: Dairy-free Chocolate Pie, as seen on Dr. Oz.
You know, I wasn’t planning on celebrating National Pie Day, but after reading that list, I might just have to break out the won-tons!
What’s your favorite type of pie? Do you have a recipe for a healthy(ish) pie? (Do share!)