In addition to providing an easy way to track meals and interact with other fit-minded folks, SparkPeople has some good motivational articles. I especially liked 40 Things to Try When You Don’t Want to Work Out, in which they asked their readers/members to share how they motivate themselves to workout. The responses are varied and sometimes repetitive, but it’s still an interesting read.
You can click the link to read the full article, but here are a few of the responses from the article that I’ve used now and then:
- Do it anyway.
- Tell myself to go for 15 minutes. If I still feel bad or unmotivated, I can quit. I have yet to quit.
- Do a heavy house cleaning (vacuuming, moving furniture, scrubbing) so I have a reason to work out.
- Find something new to do! If you run then go for a swim or a bike ride. Maybe you are getting bored with the same routine.
- Put on my workout clothes!
- Do a workout at home instead of going to the gym.
- Remind myself why I started working out and how much better I feel and feel about myself when I am done!
- Put on my workout clothes first thing in the morning. Once I’m in them there’s no reason to not work out!
- Think how good I feel after a workout! Nothing else gives me that same feeling!
- Think of all the people who can’t and I go do it and am grateful that I CAN.
And then, of course, sometimes I just give myself a pass. Not too often, though, because I generally enjoy exercising. My body, my mind, and my spirit benefit from it.
Weigh-in: How do YOU motivate yourself when you don’t feel like exercising?